Monday, August 20, 2012

Pie Crust

Pie is one of the best summer desserts. There's so much fresh fruit available, so you can make so many different varieties! I think my all-time favourite is strawberry rhubarb, but in the fall, pumpkin is definitely a close second.



But as much as I love pie, I've never made a whole pie from scratch. I've taken the easy way out, using frozen pie crusts, but I hadn't actually made the dough before - until now!



Making the dough yourself is definitely more time consuming and tricky than just buying a frozen pie crust and throwing your filling inside, but the taste of homemade dough is so much better! If you love pie as much as I do, you should give this recipe a shot! It's delicious and totally worth the extra prep time in the kitchen.

P.S. Wondering what kind of pie is under that delicious crust? Come back tomorrow to find out!

Homemade Pie Crust
Adapted from Allrecipes
Makes one 9-inch double crusted pie
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3 Tbsp. white sugar, plus more for sprinkling
  • 1 cup chilled vegetable shortening
  • 1 egg, plus another for glazing crust
  • 1 tsp. white vinegar
  • 5 Tbsp. ice water
In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar. Once mixed, cut in shortening with two knives or a pastry blender until it resembles coarse meal.

In a small bowl, whisk egg, vinegar and 4 Tbsp. cold water. Gradually add to flour, adding one more tablespoon of water if necessary. Form dough into two balls and wrap in plastic wrap, flattening slightly into discs. Refrigerate at least 1 hour and 30 minutes before rolling.

Note: Check out my my tutorial on making pie.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Template by June Lily