Monday, August 6, 2012

Double Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

I find that, with coconut, you either love it or hate it. I am definitely on the "love it" side, but my sister, not so much. I like pretty much anything with coconut, but when she was helping me make these cookies, my sister said "Hey! Let's make them without coconut. Then they'll actually be good!". Ha.


So I met her in the middle and made her a few before I added the coconut. Well, my sister was wrong...because they were good with the coconut. She even decided to try one with coconut - and she liked it!

I chose this recipe because it called for coconut oil, which I have been wanting to try out. I picked some up, found this recipe and was all excited to bake! But, when I opened up the jar, the protective seal was ripped open. I don't know if that bugs other people, but I thought, to be on the safe side, I shouldn't use it. You never know...

Either way, I was pretty disappointed. But I substituted vegetable oil, and they turned out just great. Maybe next time, after I get around to getting more coconut oil, I will try them that way, but for now, this version works for me!



Double Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
Adapted from Two Peas and their Pod
Makes about 30 cookies

  • 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
  • 3 Tbsp. coconut oil (or sub vegetable oil)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

In a large bowl, cream butter, oil and sugars. Add egg and vanilla, and beat to incorporate. 

In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture.

Once flour is fully incorporated, stir in oats, coconut and chocolate chips until evenly distributed. 

Drop onto greased cookie sheets and bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. 

Comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Template by June Lily