Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Blueberry Pie

If you read yesterday's post, you know that this past weekend I made homemade pie dough for the first time. Well, the type of pie that I made with the dough was blueberry!



With blueberries being fresh and in season right now, I decided that I was going to make a blueberry pie. I don't actually have blueberry pie very often because, if I have a choice, I almost ALWAYS choose strawberry rhubarb, also because that's what my family likes best. I might have to start having blueberry more often though, because this pie was delicious! Everyone in my family agreed too - we polished this pie right off!


It was so delicious, and definitely worth the extra time. When you know that you made it from scratch, not only do you know exactly what is in it, but you can eat it with the joy of kniwing you made it yourself.

Blueberry Pie
Adapted from Canadian Living
Serves 8-10

  • 5 cups blueberries
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 egg (for brushing crust)
  • extra sugar (for sprinkling on crust)
Prepare pie crust. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Combine blueberries, sugar, flour, lemon juice and cinnamon. Set aside.

Roll out pie dough. Place one half in bottom of pie plate and fill with blueberry filling. Cover with other half of dough, and brush with whisked egg and sprinkle with sugar. 

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then lower temperature to 350 and bake for another 35-45 minutes, until crust is golden brown and filling is thickened.




Comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Template by June Lily