Friday, August 10, 2012

Banana Bread - The Best EVER!

I know what you're thinking - "not another so-called best banana bread". I totally get it - it seems like every banana bread recipe you see claims to be "the best". But, in my opinion, this one beats them all.


We've been making this recipe for a long time. We first got it from one of my friends when I was 8 or 9. She always brought banana bread for a snack at school, and she eventually had to start bringing two or three slices to share with her friends because we liked it so much! I told my mom how good it was, and she told me to ask for the recipe. I'm so glad I did, because it's been in our recipe box ever since!


We usually add in chocolate chips, which are optional...but recommended!

Banana Bread

  • 3/4 cup butter, unsalted
  • 2 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (we usually use yogurt, because we have it on hand)
  • 5 very ripe bananas
  • 2 tsp. lemon juice
  • 2/3 cup apple sauce
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Once fully incorporated, add yogurt or sour cream.

In a separate bowl, mash bananas with lemon juice and apple sauce. Add to butter mixture and stir to combine.

In another bowl, combine flour with baking powder and soda. Gradually add this to banana mixture.

Bake in greased tins for 40-50 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean and bread is cooked through. 

*Note: I have found that this recipe usually makes two large loaves plus muffins, so I make a half recipe most of the time, although we could easily eat through the large batch, it's so good! 

Comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Template by June Lily