Thursday, July 26, 2012

Cheesy Corn Dip

Corn on the cob is a food that, in my mind, goes hand in hand with summer. I eat it a lot in the summer, and have since I was old enough to eat it off the cob. For this dip, you shave the corn off of the cob, but it still has that fresh, summery flavour.


Shaving all that corn reminded me of the two long summers during which I had braces. For those of you who haven't had them, YOU CAN'T EAT CORN ON THE COB WITH BRACES. Those were hard days (okay, I'm a bit dramatic) as I watched my family eat corn while I sawed away at my cob with my butter knife, corn flying everywhere. 


Luckily, I can now eat corn again, and I thoroughly enjoy it every time I do. Like in this dip for instance. The corn in fresh and delicious, and covered in yummy cheddar cheese. I would recommend this dip to any other corn lover like me. Make this for yourself. Or, if you're nice, make it for somebody with braces. They will appreciate you for it. Trust me.




Cheesy Corn Dip
Adapted from How Sweet It Is and Emiril Lagasse
Makes one 8 x 8 dish of dip

  • 3 1/2 cups corn (I used fresh)
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • pinch red pepper flakes
  • 1 cup chopped yellow onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped purple onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1 cup shredded mild cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
  • 3/4 cup plain Greek Yogurt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 Tbsp. butter and sauté corn with salt and red pepper flakes until corn is golden brown and caramelized, about 8 minutes.

Transfer corn to bowl, then melt the other Tbsp. of butter and sauté onions, red pepper and garlic until onion is translucent and veggies are wilted. Add this mixture to bowl with corn. Stir in Greek yogurt and half a cup of each cheese.

Pour into 8 x 8 in. baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm with tortilla chips or raw veggies.




Comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Template by June Lily